Sustainable food policy
Smith’s Catering London recognises its responsibility to carry out its procurement activities in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. We strive to incorporate environmental and social considerations into our product and service selection process. We recognise our responsibility to encourage suppliers and contractors to minimise negative environmental and social effects associated with the products and services they provide.
We also strive to ensure that local and smaller suppliers are not discriminated against in the procurement process and specifications. Specifically we:
• We are currently upgrading from full HACCP to STS Global Accreditation.
• Give preference to products and services that can be manufactured, used, and disposed of in an environmentally and socially responsible way;
• Ensure that sustainability criteria are included in specifications to suppliers;
• Consider whole life costs when assessing product suitability and in the award of contracts;
• Select sustainable products and services;
• Ensure non-discrimination against local and smaller suppliers.
• We employ the services of RSA Environmental Heath Consultants Ltd as our specialists in all areas of food safety management systems. Their service includes regular, unannounced inspections to check procedures, written records etc. as well as Bio-scanning.
In order to implement the sustainable food policy we:
• Continually monitor our targets;
• Comply with all related legislation;
• Strive to continually improve our targets and increase the scope of issues covered;
• Aim to support small scale, regional, sustainable agriculture;
• Use all resources, including water and energy, as efficiently as possible;
• Dispose of waste in ways which minimise the impacts upon the environment;
• Actively co-operate with food suppliers and other sectors on sustainable food issues;
• Communicate the policy to all employees;
We aim to provide food that is:
• Fresh, nutritious and tastes good;
• As unprocessed and unadulterated as possible;
• Produced to high animal welfare standards;
• Grown, produced and packaged by suppliers with a sustainable policy;
• Not produced or distributed by the exploitation of workers.
We will ensure that all meat, poultry and dairy produce has been produced according to Assured Farm Produce standards. That all eggs and chicken are free range, from cage-free hens. As evidence of meeting the production criteria, the food supplied must carry the Red Tractor logo or other admissible label, or through other admissible evidence.
We do not use any artificial food additives.
We ensure that all seafood provided comes from sustainable sources in which harvesting is conducted in a manner that does not lead to over-fishing or depletion of the exploited populations. All suppliers of seafood are required to provide evidence of meeting these requirements, such as a Marine Stewardship Council label or other admissible evidence.
We source a range of Fair trade certified goods including tea, coffee and other products.
Packaging of goods
The use of plastic food platters is unavoidable but we do recycle wherever possible;
We also offer china platters as an alternative but that does mean another journey to collect them;
We ask suppliers to keep packaging to a minimum, but sufficient to ensure that goods supplied are protected in transit and arrive in good condition.
Our refrigerated deliveries are by vehicles fuelled with LPG, the cleanest of the petrol based fuels.
We develop catering menus and recipes following the guiding principles and requirements outlined below:
• Health and nutrition We provide good quality, safe, nutritionally balanced meals and beverages in compliance with healthy eating guidelines;
• Seasonality: We provide menus and recipes based on seasonal availability.
We take account of local availability of food when developing menus;
Sustainable products We take account of sustainability considerations when developing the menus and use sustainable products wherever possible.
Special diets, ethnic and religious requirements
We provide special menus which meets client’s requirements. These meals are sent separately and clearly labelled.
We welcome any inspection by your independent food safety auditors.
At Smith’s we are constantly striving to be as “green” as possible. Our bespoke kitchens were designed with this in mind. All lighting is operated by sensors, not switches. No taps are used on hand wash – knee operated, they supply a measured amount of water. All food, packaging and oil waste is recycled. Our refrigerated delivery vehicles are run on LPG and are emission free.